The Workshop “HIGHER EDUCATION SYSTEMS”
Universiti Putra Malaysia,
Kuala Lumpur 22.11. – 26.11. 2016
The purpose of the TtF Workshop Higher Education Systems was to discuss the practical implications Media Literacy has for the Asian partners of the MEDLIT-project, especially focusing on how to foster Media Literacy in the study programs at their Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The workshop aims to shift the focus of the conversation in the MEDLIT-project from the theoretical approach to the strategic interests of the project partners. The aim of the workshop is to determine which already existing modules in the study programs could be combined with the preliminary findings of the Delphi Study to find the best levers for a joint Media Literacy program structure. For this purpose, it will be necessary to develop a better understanding of the local programs and needs. Additionally, the workshop aims at developing a joint understanding of the products the MEDLIT project should produce.
During this meeting the first external expert for the Quality Assurance Plan, Prof. Ibrahim Saleh, attended.
|Moderator & Trainer||Thomas Pfeffer|
|External Expert||Ibrahim Saleh|
|UniVie||2 Participants||Thomas A. Bauer, Michael-Bernhard Zita|
|OUNL||1 Participant||Marlies Bitter-Rijpkema|
|ZU||1 Participant||Cornelia Wallner|
|CU||5 Participants||Jirayudh Sinthuphan, Metha Sereethanawong, Wilairuck Suntikul, Kalinga Seneviratne, Sarayut Kulrach|
|SWU||5 Participants||Thanakorn Thongprayoon, Krich Rajprasit, Patricia Visser, Supaporn Kusitthiboon, Wachirapong Yaemtui|
|UMK||5 Participants||Suria Baba, Nik Maheran Nik Muhammad, Raja Suzana Raja Kasim, Mokhtarrudin Ahmad, Zailani Abdullah|
|UPM (Host Institution)||5 Participants||Ezhar Tamam, Sabariah Mohamed Salleh, Mohd Nizam Osman, Wan Anita Wan Abas, Rosya Izyanie Shamshudeen|
|AJC||5 Participants||Vu Thanh Van, Nguyen Vu Tien, Bui Thu Huong, Bguyen Thi Van Trang, Phan Minh Duc|
|USSH||4 Participants||Hoang Xuan Phuong, Nguyen Thi Hong Loc, Phan Van Tu, Do Hoang Phuong An|
As mentioned above, the workshop’s goals were:
- Discussing practical implications of Media Literacy for the Asian partners,
- Conceptualizing content-related structures of the MEDLIT program and the MOOC(s), that should be refined and processed during the following project activities,
- Finding the best impulses for a joint Media Literacy program structure by combining existing study programs and the findings from the carried our Delphi Study Phase I,
- Developing a better understanding of the local programs and needs in order to succeed in such a joint Media Literacy program,
- Finding a shared understanding of the products the MEDLIT project should produce,
- Creating a basis for the planned Media Literacy Network and shaping including national chapters,
- Thinking of possible ways of how to make MEDLIT sustainable and how to foster Media Literacy in already existing study programs,
- Discussing the technical/infrastructural aspects of the MOOC
- Planning next steps and scheduling upcoming events.
According to the feedback after the meeting, the general results were:
- An updated understanding of the current project status,
- A better understanding of the local study programs and following from that a better understanding for the local needs in terms of the MOOC development,
- A shared concept of the potential for cooperation and an individual expression of needs and wishes from/for other partners/partner institutions,
- A general theoretical framework of Academic Media Literacy and an insight in the field of Journalism Education and the connection to Media Literacy.
The workshop led to:
- An updated overview of the project status,
- Presentation of existing study programs of the partner institutions,
- Ideas on how to foster Media Literacy in these study programs,
- A basis on the National Chapters of the planned Media Literacy Network,
- Criteria for inclusion, cooperation and contribution in terms of the MEDLIT Network,
- First impressions and ideas of how to design (teaching, learning) the MOOC(s),
- An updated schedule of the upcoming events and the second project year in general.
For detailed documentation of the TtF Workshop Higher Education Systems please go to:
DHUB (as this section is for MEDLIT members only, please login with your access data) > Downloads > 07_Documents according to Work Package Structure > 5 DEVELOPMENT – Train-the-Faculty > 5.2 TtF Higher Education Systems